The primary focus of the Cost Estimator is compiling construction cost data, integrating it into M+H workflows and Revit models, developing cost estimate output formats, working in conjunction with technical staff to integrate cost data and outputs into M+H modeling systems and standards, and keeping cost data current and updated.
The Cost Estimator will be responsible for training architectural staff in cost estimation methods and techniques. This role will also keep staff up to date on market adjustments and trends. Responsibilities also include knowledge of construction methods and how they impact cost, as well as constructability analysis.
The Cost Estimator must be able to use industry resources to establish and update construction cost data including published cost data, contractors and subcontractors, material suppliers, and other available sources.
- Understand level of cost detail as it relates to design phase
- Cost per square foot for conceptual level and pre-design phase
- Building systems cost for DD/CD phases
- Specific component costs for specialty building features
- Assist M+H design staff in proposing reasonable allowances for features not yet designed
- Integrate costs for engineering disciplines into M+H cost estimates
- Impact of site work costs, including ability to make valid assumptions early in the design process and analyze actual design details as they develop
- Structural systems and MEP/FP systems costs
- Interior design materials and furnishings costs as applicable
- Specialty consultants’ costs, such as acoustical, low voltage, security, etc.
- Adjust costs based on regional differences
- Labor rates, shipping premiums, and local and regional material options
- Basic understanding of all software utilized by the firm
- Organize information and understand how to integrate reliable cost data into building model
- Collaborate with BIM staff to develop cost estimate formats generated from building model
- Able to consistently monitor construction materials market and update cost data in modeling software
- Understand the effects of economic conditions on raw materials and finished goods pricing as well as availability and lead time issues
- Ability to adjust cost data based on specific project information received from contractors
- Help design staff provide value to our clients by suggesting more cost-effective design solutions
- Motivated to participate in pin-ups, critiques, and progress reviews to find design efficiencies
- Communicate well with others in-house along with contractors and consultants
- Must understand and support the nurturing aspect of relationships both in-house and out of house
Fill out the form below and upload your resume and portfolio (15MB or less each).